1 rib celery, minced
1 medium onion, minced
1 stick butter
6 tbsp flour
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp parsley
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 quarts liquid (the liquid from the oysters plus milk to make the full amount)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
2 dozen raw oysters, shucked, liquid reserved
Pinch of cayenne
1. Melt butter in large saucepan and saute the celery and onions until softened.
2. Blend in the flour and simmer for 3 more min. to cook out the flour taste.
3. Add the garlic, parsley, cayenne and bay leaves, then stir in the liquid mixture (clam juice and milk).
4. Bring to a boil and the reduce to a simmer. Cook for 15 min.
5. Add salt and pepper. Then add oysters. Simmer for 5 more min. or until the oysters are just cooked. Serve immediately.