Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 1 lb)
1 pkg (5 3/4 oz) pad thai noodles (wide rice stick noodles)
4 small hot red chiles, seeded and chopped, or 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 can (13.5 oz) light coconut milk
3 cups fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
1/2 lb snow peas, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp red curry paste
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
7 lime wedges
4 cups water
1. Bring 4 cups of water to boil in a large saucepan. Add spinach and peas to pan and cook for 30 seconds. Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl.
2. Add noodles to pan. Cook 3 min. Drain. Then add noodles to spinach mixture in bowl.
3. Heat canola oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and the next 5 ingredients (through the garlic) to the pan and saute for minute stirring constantly.
4. Add chicken broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Then add in the coconut milk. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 min.
5. Add chicken, onions, sugar and fish sauce to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes. Pour chicken mixture over the noodle mixture in the bowl. Stir in cilantro and chiles. Serve with the lime wedges.